Wednesday, April 14, 2010

festival, firemen, pluto

Kite festival 2010 didn't disappoint. The weather was nice, Dave got sunburnt, and the kids actually flew kites on their own! Here's Lydia with her tinkerbell kite (green)
Alex and his transformers kite (big black one in the corner) Al thinks he's pretty cool right here...
Dave and his crazy kite from China. (his grandparents gave as a souvenir when they went there maybe 20 years ago...) It was too hard to fly
I actually got the kite the highest, and Dave took tons of pictures of my victory. Unfortunately, Dave only took pictures of me and not of the kite, so I still have no proof...darn Dave and his zoom fetish.
We also went to the children's museum, and I finally remembered my camera...but not a new battery. I did manage to get Alex posing like the manly firefighter he is :)
And Lydia's new "camera smile" I've been told that this too shall pass...
We also were given some old decorations for Alex's room from a friend with grown kids. One set is the planets, and of course Pluto was included. I didn't tape up Pluto onto Al's wall because I didn't want him to get confused, but he saw the planet in the trash this morning and started crying. I told him that the scientists decided it wasn't a planet anymore, and he got mad. I told him I felt the same way, and then Dave and I made up all these really good reasons for why it wasn't a planet (we really don't have any idea).
So, this afternoon, he asked me to take Pluto down and throw it away. I asked him why and he said, "it's not really a planet". I guess he just had to make peace with it in his own way :)

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I really love the saga over the non-planet Pluto. It made me laugh because I could picture the whole thing happening. Also loved the line about dave and his zoom fetish. Kendra you're the best.

Liz said...

The demotion of Pluto has been hard on us all... But we can still consider it a dwarf planet!!! Not all is lost.

Jodi Glazner said...

So funny. The whole Pluto thing really has struck a nerve. :) Sometimes the camera smile can be helped by making them say something. "Cheese" doesn't really work that well, but sometimes "boogers" makes them actually laugh and you can get a good smile.

Melissa Rozeski said...

Why have I still never heard one advertisement for the kite festival? I guess, we are always at soccer games during it, but next year give me a heads up, so I don't feel like such a recluse. :)

Brandon and Erica said...

Seriously. I'm just going to say it: I spend too many hours on blogs and Facebook...and that has to be the only valid answer to the fact that I TOO had no idea about Planet Pluto.

Tell Alex I completely understand.