Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Our wonderful garden

We had a poor start to gardening this year. Out of our 20 little seedlings, only 5 survived... and two died in transplanting. The seeds we started outside were drown in a freak rainfall that lasted over 3 days. So, we're very excited about getting ANYTHING this year :)

Alex is standing next to the zucchini, which is doing awesome. I made a mistake and also planted pickling cucumbers and butternut squash in this little box. It's a little ridiculous
I tried soybeans and they're awesome! If you pick them early you have edamame, which tastes SO good. So we'll have to pick these suckers pretty soon :)
These are our two tomato bushes. I've never had tomatoes grow so big before. We had tons of rain in colorado this year, which apparently the tomatoes LOVE. (I did trim that plant, those branches left are all the ones with green tomatoes on them... yum!)
And, lest you think I have a green thumb, I wanted to show you our broccoli plant. So sad! We planted 3, this was the only one that survived, and it seems to have some crazy bug or disease, because those leaves should be big and full, not spindly and holy.
If anyone wants some zucchini or butternut squash, let us know!

1 comment:

liz said...

I'd say you have a green thumb!!! My strawberries never grew back this year and my flower garden has been ruined by bugs. It's pretty sad looking out there!!!