Monday, September 06, 2010

Apples, horses, and nickels

Since I had a lot of east coast roommates in college I heard a lot about apple orchards in the fall. We have one (just one) u-pick-it apple orchard in Colorado. It's a hobby farm, but they had the doughnuts, and that's all I really wanted to try :)
The grandmas came with us. They had these HUGE draft horses called Percheron. Lydia is petting the newborn.
Alex is scared to death of horses (like his mom and dad really). So we're practicing feeding these gentle giants... see the fear in his eyes? My death grip on his arm? All for his own good :)
They also had the nicest little donkeys... they were like cats they wanted to be petted so much. It was cute.
So, now we've officially enjoyed a apple orchard. Although someday I'd like to go to the east and do the real thing :) Our hay ride was fairly pitiful...

On another note... Lydia has been lifting up her shirt lately and saying "here comes the nickel show!" We thought it was so funny that we've been having her do it for friends and family. I thought maybe she got it from TV (those crazy cartoons), or maybe she thought her belly button looks like a nickel. So we would laugh and Alex would even start doing it. Well, yesterday Dave realized what she was saying. As Lydia pointed to her nipples and said "nickel"

AHHHHHH!!! Were we really encouraging a nipple show!?!? And where in the world did she get that? I swear that I have never uttered those words (until just now). Now we're quietly discouraging the practice, hopefully we'll break it before she can say the word correctly...

6 comments:

katina said...

I can't stop laughing!! I also think it's funny that you were encouraging a nickel show too!! :0) Seriously, SO funny!!!

Lindsey said...

oh wow! so hilarious! and yes, even better that you were encouraging it! your kids are so cute!

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

I have to admit that I laughed pretty hard about the nickel show too. That is hilarious. I also laughed at you now having to quietly discourage it, which I can SO picture you doing. oh man, I love kids!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny...it reminds me of a story Annie told me: Sam (age 3 or so) loved when she would bite his ear. She told him she didn't bite his ear, just nibble. Well, that got confusing, because one Sunday in sacrament meeting he started yelling, "Mom, bite my nibble! Bite my nibble!" Haha!

kkoyle said...

Umm, that is soo funny. She is such a doll.